Thursday, January 9, 2014

Life Changing 208 days


It seems like it was longer than 208 days but that is the number I come up with this morning as I think back on 2013. That is the number of days that I was on a mission to if not save a friend to ensure he received the best care and assist in ensuring his last days were filled with love, companionship, family and friends.
Yes, I am talking about my friend Luke Henry, it was this time last year that we learned that Luke was stage 4 Gastric/Liver Cancer.  Thus beginning a mission to be the best damn friend a person could have, to be the loudest and most persistent Patient Advocate possible and to be the supportive counsel to family. I did not realize at the time what this journey would do to my own life, my psychological being and my faith. I just knew that I had a friend in desperate need of support and I had to do what I could.
At first, Luke’s health was stable so we focused on his bucket list, which mostly consisted of things he wanted to do with the kids, Michael and Katelyn.  So I pulled together his friends and we were able to provide him the opportunities to provide those important events on that list for Luke and his kids. To see the joy in Luke’s face as he was able to do things special for each child was overwhelming to say the least.
I recently came across a folder in my computer that was named “LL”. It was filled with emails and copies of text messages that Luke and I had exchanged over those 208 days.  I became lost again in reading these and how our relationship developed and expanded.   It was interesting to see how our conversations went on certain topics such as plans for kids, health issues, philosophy, religion, life events and his wishes for after his death.  
208 days does not sound like a very long time but I can tell you it was one of the most rewarding 208 days I have ever experienced.  I gained so much, a Best Friend, a better understanding of human nature and strength, a deeper appreciation of my relationship with Paul, increased knowledge of Cancer and its treatment.  One of the greatest things gained in 2013 is a wonderful extended family that has become to mean so very much to Paul and I.
So as I thought back on my year, I know that I have experienced a life changing event. I could never look at life as I had prior to January 2013. I have to ensure I live my life to the very fullest, to step out of my comfort zone as often as possible. To show those in my life how important they are to me for we are never guaranteed tomorrow. To always offer support in any way possible to those in need around me.

Most of all Enjoy life and not let the everyday stresses rule…

Keep Dancin’ Larry B

No comments:

Post a Comment