Friday, September 21, 2012

Entertaining -Community service

During this week of Jewish Holidays, I was reminded of many years gone by when I entertained for the Jewish War Veterans Group led by the late Murray Broder. Murray was the owner of Broder's Wholesale Tobacco and Candy Store in Worcester Maine. We were a group of entertainers that went out once a week to nursing homes, veteran's homes, hospitals, military bases and orphanages. No one could ever say no to Murray. He was one of the most generous people, I ever knew.
For 15 years, I worked beside other great entertainers such as Nils Hagberg, Walter Fields, Carol Zannotti, The Gaslows, The Nadeau Sisters, Marion Rittaco, Steve Colombo, Andre, the Magician, Lilian Sedaris and Jerry Felicetti(my Dad), just to name a few of the many great talents that gave up their time to bring joy to others.
The audience's faces would light up at each show. Murray brought joy to all ethnic groups, including the Nazareth home for boys, St. Ann's Orphanage and others.  I even remember the nuns at these facilities having a great time at these shows as well. 
Many a Christmas day were devoted to doing 3 or 4 shows at several locations. Of course, Murray supplied the goodies to all and he showed his appreciation to the entertainers by treating us all at the Broadway Deli on Water Street.
It was so much fun and so many fond memories of those times, working with so many great talents and being able to bring joy and happiness to so many. Many that had served our country and it was our turn to give back to them. 
Till next time. Ms. Honey
I thank Ms. Honey for her contributions to my weekly blog. Her experiences and stories are always an inspiration to me.  I learn something new about my dear friend with each article.
Keep Dancing  LB

No comments:

Post a Comment