Thursday, February 14, 2013

Cancer and the Care Giver


Cancer comes in many forms and attacks every location of the body. Each one presents with its own unique symptoms and challenges. The disease process has been around as long as man himself. The earliest documentation comes from ancient Egypt around 1500 BC.

As a nurse and care giver for nearly 30 years, I have taken care of many Cancer afflicted individuals. It is never an easy task working with a patient that may not survive their illness. You provide the best care you possibly can and offer as much support as possible to make their life comfortable and high in quality.

It can even be more taxing on the family/care givers than the cancer afflicted person themself. I found this to be extremely true when I took care of my mother as her cancer progressed.  At the time, I could not or would not put my stress on my immediate family they were going through their own stressors. I was a professional but as a family member I was totally at a loss about finding assistance for myself.                                  

I recently have had one of the most rewarding experiences in my personal and professional life. I am helping a dear friend deal with his fight with cancer. Being a friend and not family member has allowed me to see my friend and his family in a different perspective.  I have gained so much insight to family dynamics, every day struggle with cancer and  what both sides need to face the fight and still all of involved keep their sanity in dealing with the disease, the insurance, and the medical profession.

For if the primary care giver over extends themselves there is no one there to assist the patient in need. This time I am going to be there. Everyone's focus is on the person dealing with the daily fight that those supporting and/or providing care are left to deal with their heartache, stress and fatigue alone.

There are support groups to assist caregivers by offering counseling and respite care. It always seems that unless the local groups are entrenched at the hospital or care centers. Those that need them may never know they are available. The main reason is that professionals involved are focused on the person with cancer and neglect those taking care of the afflicted individual.


As caregiver for a loved one, you have to first know all you feelings are normal. You will experience anger, sadness, grief, loneliness, and guilt. You have to work through these feelings while at the same time deal with your loved one’s exact same issues.  It is difficult for both sides to express these issues with each other. The Caregiver wants to keep a positive supportive front and the cancer afflicted individual wants to keep any other stressors off their family/caregivers.


I did a web search and immediately found 7 support links for cancer care givers. But unless the caregiver has the foresight to seek support, a lot of times those of us in the medical profession drop the ball at assisting the care giver.


This time I, as a nurse, a friend, an adopted family member, plan on making a difference in the care of the afflicted individual and the family/care givers.





cancer.about.com/od/howtocope/a/burnout.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment