Friday, May 23, 2014

First Road Trip of 2014


I spent last weekend doing something I have not done since 1978, I spent the day at Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missouri. It had been when I was a senior in High School the last time I visited this park.  So when Paul and I decided we needed a mini vacation and escape from the everyday routine. We decided to contact our friend Joe and the three of us took a few days to act like tourist.

 Paul had never been to that part of Missouri and since Joe lives just a few hours from Branson. We did a road trip, picked up Joe and the three amigos had a weekend of fun and relaxation.

I can tell you Branson Missouri and Silver Dollar City have changed a lot in the past 36 years. Talk about Tourist explosion, last time I was there Branson was still a sleepy little mountain town with an amusement park outside of town.

Now it is a busy tourist town with live show theaters, museums, miniature golf courses, T-shirt shops, craft stores and of course the ever present discount shopping centers. There are still the mom and pop hotels and establishments but the commercialized tourist establishment has taken over the area.

Just so you understand if you have been to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg TN or Orlando/Disney FL, you know how the terrain looks like.

Still being a farm boy from Missouri and being back in the Ozark Mountains, it was nostalgic for me not matter how commercialized the area has become. Just driving up in the mountains and seeing the beauty of the area took me back to my childhood.

We had a great day at Silver Dollar City, exploring Marvel Cave, and watching the shows. Joe and I did our best to hit every rollercoaster at the park, while Paul watched from the observation deck with our hats and glasses.

We were able to find restaurants that the locals frequent and had some great food. We also were able to get in some of the live musical shows with the aid of our hotel concierges who got us fantastic seats; so good that I was pulled from the audience to dance on stage at one of them.

As our weekend winded down the three of us agreed that one weekend was not enough and have planned another get away for October. There is an extreme Zip line course that has Joe and Larry’s name on it along with one rollercoaster that we somehow missed. There are several more shows we want to see and an auto/farm museum.

Plus there is a dancing bear wood statue that I have to go back and purchase. So now I can’t wait for October to arrive so the three amigos can have another great road trip.

Keep dancin’ Larry B

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment