Friday, July 11, 2014

Keep It Cool


The period known as the "Dog Days" of summer occurs from early July into mid-August. The Romans called this period "dies canincula" or dog days because the Dog Star Sirius rises and sets with the sun during this time. It was their belief the combined effect of the star and the sun was what made it so oppressively warm and humid.
 I got to thinking how did our grandparents deal with the summer heat prior to central air-conditioning.  I remember growing up with large yards and large trees, there was always shade.  The largest Oak tree in the yard always had lawn chairs under it and this was where you would find the family most afternoons and early evenings. Chatting and cleaning the latest garden produce, while the kids would be chasing lightening bugs.
 Houses were built for cross ventilation with windows directly across from each other and the doors. Their homes were always cool with a nice breeze. One trick my grandmother did every summer on her back porch was hang old sheets on the end of the porch eaves and sprayed them with water.  The porch area of her house was always cool in the afternoon with the breeze blowing through the wet sheets. They would do the same with pillow cases over the windows at night.  With the old oscillating fans, I don't recall every being hot while sleeping. 
I typically sleep with 2 fans directed on me and I some nights I still find it difficult to get comfortable and I keep the house at a pleasant 72 degrees.  Maybe its age but I think it is just the fact that we have become so accustomed to the comforts of air-conditioning.  It seems that people adapted to the changing seasons more easily in the past.
It can be argued that air-conditioning has become a center piece of American culture. We seem to have a romance with air-conditioning. For years, Europeans and even some Americans believed that air-conditioning represents all that is wasteful and self-indulgent about Americans. Air-conditioning is and was seen as a luxury without which Americans cannot function. Many Europeans shunned air-conditioning because their summers were mild that is until recently. They did not believe that hot weather was worse than the dry, cold air provided by air-conditioners, and, most importantly, they saw it as a decadent thing that "ugly Americans" demanded.
Air-conditioning has changed our leisure patterns in this country. It makes us less likely to get out and enjoy the weather and one factor in contributing to our stereotypical obesity. I will be the first to admit that some of our technology and comforts have spoiled us as a race capable of adapting to ever changing environment.  I will always try to function as green as I can and to look for the simple ways to maintain my home and environment. I will also draw the line when it comes to my AC. I promise to get out more but must sleep in AC...
So stay cool during these "Dog Days of Summer" in whatever manner suits you and yours.  I would love to be having big trees surrounding me but alas all I have is my AC.

Keep Dancin’ Larry B.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment