Friday, May 4, 2012

Parents


I only have my Father at this time in my life. Mom past four years ago and a day does not go by that I do not think of that woman.  I may have had my issues with both of my parents growing up and as a young adult. I never stopped loving and respecting them as my parents or as intelligent individuals. As I grew Older and Wiser, I realized the man I had become was due to their earlier influence. You may move far away from your parents but in the end it all comes back to your roots.
I just spent three weeks assisting my Father with a medical issue and it was worth every minute to ensure his recovery and well-being.  My Dad knows that I am close by and willing to assist in any way necessary. He, of course, is from the generation that does not want help or want to ask for assistance.  I have to practically badger him into accepting my assistance at times. Thanks Mom for that ability…
As parents grow older, it becomes more important to spend as much time with them as possible. You have to become their advocate in medical issues because their generation tends to accept whatever their physician says to do without question. After the experience, our family had with Mom’s illness, I learned a few things as a nurse, case manager and son.
Physicians do not listen to their elder patients. I don’t care how wonderful the physician may be, how excellent their reputation, they really do not Listen. It is up to you to listen to your parent; you after all know them the best.   Check what medications they are taking, are they appropriate. Dad is not one to take medication so I tend to find bottles that are practically full when I check.  What I have found though is some physicians will just keep prescribing a medication without really discussing with their elder client.  What might have been necessary a year ago may not be necessary at the present.
Make list of questions in regards to medications, complaints that your parent is stating, research the internet for them.  Take the time to be at the physician appointment to ensure the physician is listening to your parent.
Yes, Dad is a stubborn Missouri Mule and the next medical crisis will be another fight of wills. He will just have to remember I take after my Mom and her side of the family...
Till Next time. LB




No comments:

Post a Comment