Friday, January 25, 2013

PATIENCE

The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it open.
– Arnold Glasgow, American humorist


As anyone that knows me, patience is not a word that is usually used to describe me.   An ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay: to have patience with a slow learner.  Quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered care; diligence: to work with patience.  Nope just not something that I am known to fully possess.

Although it may be one of my weaker attributes, it is usually because I care so deeply about a topic or person that I want it to succeed or for something to occur timely.  I have recently been reminded that I have no control over a great deal in my life especially when it comes to helping friends in need.  Dealing with the medical profession can be trying to say the least; this coming from a medical professional of nearly 30 years.  I know how wrong things can go with lack of communication and it becomes even more an issue when it involves someone in your personal life.

Learning to be patient is a decision you consciously make. You decide to wait instead of becoming tense, angry and overreact to a situation. You make the decision to restrain yourself. You choose to use self-control to wait. It takes practice. To be patient, you need to change your mindset and the way you react when things don't go your way.  That being said, I must practice hourly to ensure I am able to provide that solid front of patience to ensure those I love and care for are dealt with timely and efficiently.

I want my co-workers, friends and family to view me as a solid patient person that they can always depend upon for strength and support. When in reality at times, I am just bouncing around inside my body with energy because things are not moving fast enough or good enough for those in my life.

I wanted to put in writing for myself mainly on how would be best way to learn to be patient and then do my best to practice what I preach so to speak. After reading and researching I think I have come up with six basic strategies that I am able to put in place to help me with my impatience.

1.   Develop realistic expectations. Learn to expect and plan for things not always going smoothly so you will be prepared if you encounter complications and be pleased if you don't.(Not an easy one I expect things to go smoothly)

 
2.   Realize that setbacks are only temporary. Resilient people choose to view difficult times as temporary setbacks, believing that the difficulty will pass.(Okay, but I hate setbacks)

 
3.   Employ a problem solving attitude instead of choosing to be a victim. People who see themselves as victims seem to believe the world is out to get them, while problem solvers can clearly see what they can and cannot change without taking things so personally.(Never consider myself a victim) 

4.   Avoid bitterness because it is dangerous to your physical, mental and emotional health. Bitter people tend to overreact, hold grudges and live miserable lives. (This one I have surpassed, yeah!)


5.   Have faith that you can overcome a difficult situation. Be patient knowing that if you have overcome a difficulty before that you can use that as encouragement to get through life's ups and downs.(still one that I have trouble with at times)

6.   Be aware of triggers that cause you to become impatient. If it's something you can change, take steps to change it. If not, then adjust your attitude and mindset accordingly.

You have to remember that others often see impatient people as arrogant, insensitive, and impulsive.  Some people will even avoid impatient people, because of their poor people skills and bad tempers. Impatience can even affect relationships at home.

The more patient you are with others, the likelier you are to be viewed positively by your peers, not to mention your family and friends.

So okay I know I am not the most patient individual. I recognize the issue and will strive to be better at being patient. After all I do want to be best person I can be for my family, friends, and coworkers.

Keep Dancin’ Larry B.

No comments:

Post a Comment