Friday, December 20, 2013

Passage of Time


I sit in my living room listening to 30 clocks ticking the time away. I look at ornaments on the Christmas tree and see passage of time.  As the clocks tick, the lights shining on the ornaments, I see all the memories represented on the tree. Each ornament places me at a different time and place in my life, childhood through present. All representing the passing of time.

I realize that I don't do this reminiscing often enough, it was a cleansing mentally to wander through the memories. I also know we let time pass without making note of the people in our life's and events that occur every day. Before we realize it all we have are memories.

Each of us get so wrapped up in our daily grind, just trying to make it to the end of our work day, the week, the month, the year. Everyone is entrenched in making ends meet and not taking the time to actually live in the moment. It is always tomorrow I will get to it. Then tomorrow becomes next week, next month and then it's too late.

I am just as guilty as the next person in getting into this entrenchment. What I learned this year is to take life and live it to the fullest. Take time for yourself, family and friends. Step out of your comfort zone and experience life. As I sat wandering through the memories on the tree, I can say I have been doing better at stepping out of my comfort zone and making time for family and friends.

 I still find myself slipping at times, letting work and daily life demands control me. This time of year can be even more demanding on our psyche and finding that balance is difficult. So what can one do to find that balance, one way I have found that works is to go old school. Old school is placing all electronic devices in the off position and out of sight.  Granted that first hour is very nerve racking being totally disconnected from the electronic governors in our live. Then I realize how free it feels and I can spend quality time with family, friends, pets and most of myself.

Look for community activities that are interesting for you or for you significant other, then get out there and participate. Plan special time with friends and family, like the night we have planned tonight with Brian/Melissa. It takes an effort form oneself to break the cycle of becoming entrenched in the every day grind. The benefits of time with family, friends, pets and oneself is priceless.

So as the multiple chiming clocks alert me of another hour that has past, I take a deep breath knowing I am on track to not let any more time pass without taking time for myself and the special ones in my life.

Keep dancin' Larry B.

No comments:

Post a Comment