Friday, February 17, 2012

Promoting Oneself


Now that I am back in Tennessee, the next 90 days are dedicated to promoting myself as an International Line Dance Instructor here in Clarksville.  I have always disliked the marketing aspect of my professional  life, the idea of going out to sell a product, service, etc. It just was not my forte but when the product and services is ME.  Well that is even more unnerving to me.
Anyway I decided I had to get out this week and start beating the bush so to speak. I stopped by the local skating rink on my side of town. They offer Zumba classes two nights a week, so I thought if the rink was willing to offer Zumba why not a Line Dance Class. So I presented myself in my Line Dance News embroidered oxford shirt, Larry B’s Dance Flyer and business cards. I cannot remember being so nervous opening a door to a building.
I explained I was new in the area and looking to establish a new dance class. I saw that they offered Zumba and wanted to inquire if they might be interested in offering a dance class one or two nights a week as well.  I went on how it was a wonderful form of exercise much like Zumba. In fact the song playing for the Zumba class I knew a line dance to. The lady at the counter, thought it was a great idea but unfortunately she did not make those type of decisions. She took all my material and promised to discuss with the manager and owner if they arrived that evening or the next day.  “Note to self, ask for the decision maker before launching into my sales pitch.”
Actually, it was a great practice run for me and the lady was super nice. She stated she loved Line dancing and would let the manager know she thought it a great idea.  So my confidence was up as I left the Rainbo Skating Rink. On my way home, I passed Lana’s Dance Studio and decided to stop. I thought might as well get to know some of the Dance teachers in the area and see if they might have any input to a place that might be looking to host a Line Dance Class. I figured professional courtesy may count for something..
The stop was a good move, I got several great leads and now have a few more ideas on where to go to promote a class.  Keep

No comments:

Post a Comment