Friday, June 29, 2012

4th of July, A Day of Celebration for many reasons

This will be the first 4th that I will spend with my sister since we were kids in Rural Southeast Missouri. For the past 20 years, I have spent the 4th holiday with my Florida Family.

As families gather together across the country for their 4th of July events, we will be doing the same.  Paul and I will be joining my sister and her Women’s Softball teammates and spouses. We will be having the typical gathering of food, drinks and watching fireworks.  It will be a great time I am sure but the best part is spending time with my sister.  Although Paul and I will miss our Florida Family, just being with Family is what is most important.

We hear so many opinions in the world today as to what constitutes a Family.  I have read that originally the word family meant a band of slaves. That even after the word came to apply to people affiliated by blood and marriage, for centuries the notion of family referred to authority relations rather than love ones. (Stephanie Coontz, The Way We Never Were, pp. 43-44)

Webster's Dictionary offers twenty-two definitions. The Census Bureau defines a family as "two or more persons related by birth, marriage or adoption who reside in the same household". There are cultural differences all around the world that defines a family. There are political, economic, legal, sociological and religious interest bound up with the definition of family.  Pet owners and their pet owning friends may view Dixie and Pixie as "family"--and Dixie and Pixie have been known to inherit the bulk of their deceased owners' estates.
My question is what difference does it make how "family" is defined? 
My definition for family will be as different as the person reading this entry. What person, government or religion has the right to say my definition or your definition is the correct one or the only one.
The most important thing in my life is my family. My family is those here with me as much as the ones that are elsewhere in this great country. Family are those in your life that you protect, you encourage, you support, you love.
So as usual this July 4th I will being doing what I have done so many times before, celebrate the birth of this great nation with MY FAMILY.  It should be a day of celebration for a country where we have the freedom to celebrate whatever we, each define as family.
So have a fantastic 4th of July with your family and show your pride and support for this great country, The United States of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment