Friday, July 27, 2012

75 Years of Memories

Guest Author this week is Ellen Valinski.

It's hard to believe that I celebrated my 75nd Birthday this July. With that many years, I have memories that could fill a book. I thought I would put some of my most favorite memories to paper and share with everyone.

Starting my own Honey Feliceti's Dance Studio at 16 years of age was just the beginning of a long career in business. After school every day I went to my small studio on Front Street in Worcester, MA. I only had 27 students in my first year. My parents helped out, so I was able to pay rent and phone. I would Baby Sit at night on weekends to pay for advertising. I was involved in all my high school shows, which was also great advertising. Dancing in shows for many groups such as Jewish War Veterans, Sons of Italy, Local T.V., U.S.O., Army hospitals, orphanages and so many others.

I was 18years of age when I married my soul mate Andy, who just happen to be 7 years my senior. He helped me so much with my business. I had over 100 students by this time, making my life a little easier.  My studio was now the whole 4th floor of the Front Street location over Paris Curtain Shop. Business just kept getting better and better each year. Also now being old enough to perform in the good old fashion nite clubs on weekends, I did not need any further financial help from my family.

Dancing in the nite clubs was so much fun. I was entertaining with people like Totie Fields, Vaughn Monroe, Smiling Jack Smith, Jack Carter, Jill Corey, Walter Fields, The Nadeau Sisters, Jerry Lucci, and so many great musicians.

Next great memory was the birth of my first son, Andy Jr. Now Mom and Dad were back as baby sitters, without them my business would not have continued to grow to over 250 students. 

As I continued teaching and dancing at nite clubs, along came son number 2, Brian and then my daughter, Andrea.  Andy and I moved into a custom built house, across from Mom and Dad, the perfect baby sitters. Business was good, I had 4 teachers including myself, two other studios in different towns and over 400 students. 

Early Urban Renewal meant my 4th floor studio was to be demolished but the new studio was a great step toward continued success. The location was a former nite club with mirrors everywhere and full of great memories of past entertainers. My wonderful husband, Andy replaced the carpet with a  wonderful hard wood floor. I had over 600 students, a receptionist, 6 teachers and a great old piano player, Gert. What a gem she was.

I had Honey Felicitti's Dance Studio for 25 years before ending that part of my business career.  Just wait till I tell you about my next business...

Till then, Ms. Honey

No comments:

Post a Comment