Friday, August 9, 2013

A Man and His Word!

A repost in honor of my Best Friend Luke Henry.  Little Bro. I kept my word as I said I would. Miss you..


I am always amazed when I tell someone I will do something and when I do it; how surprised they seem to be that I am a person that keeps his word.  I suppose we all become jaded toward our fellow man that we expect nothing. So we are surprised when someone actually does what they say they will do.

I was reared in the Midwest and it was instilled into me as a young child that you do whatever you state you will do.  Be that for the family, friends or strangers.   I was taught that you treat others as you wish to be treated. You state you will do something you do it and that everyone was the same in God’s eye and you should treat everyone the same.

I strive to be a good man and to do whatever I can to help others in need. I see so much hate, so much distrust and so much of the “ME” attitude around me. I can understand at times because of the economy, stress of job and family that one can become this way easily.  I can say that I have seen less of this since moving back to the Midwest and it is very refreshing to actually have others even say “hello”,” thank you” and “How may I help you”.

Is it that in the larger metropolitan areas that everyone is just too busy trying to survive?  They have forgotten that the only way to truly survive is to reach out to others, to accept the differences that God has created and to treat each other with respect and dignity.  I don’t have the answers and probably never will.

I know that who I am I cannot change. I know I will always look after my family, my friends and try to help complete strangers. It is what I do and hopefully it is enough.  I may not be rich in terms of wealth but I am rich beyond believe with love, understanding and compassion for those in my life and those that I encounter along the way in this life.

I recently told a  friend that is dealing with a health crisis that no matter what I was going to be there to assist him and his family. I was not going anywhere. It is who I was, that once you become a friend you become part of my family. I am like an old grizzly bear protective to my last breath.  I think at first he was skeptical that I would be there for him and his family.  I think he has come to realize that I am a man of my word. 

I honor my word, with action and not just speech. I honor my family and my beliefs by doing the best I can each and every day.  It is who I am, it is what I am.  Who among you can say the same?

1 comment:

  1. Very well said LB. I believe one's word is gold. Say what you mean, mean what you say and don't say it mean. Not always easy to do, but a simple truth to follow. Thank YOU for being an inspiration. Although I've never been in the position to be a caregiver to a terminally ill friend (or family member), I can see it takes a lot of strength to handle that. Emotionally, mentally, physically. You said YES to Luke and his family and you kept your word, no matter what. That says a lot right there about you. :0)

    ReplyDelete