Friday, April 5, 2013

Our Ms. Katelyn

Not ever being a parent myself, dealing with a 6 year old girl has been a wonderful experience. Seeing the world from her point of view is refreshing and challenging for she is one tough negotiator. Katelyn is the daughter of my friends, Joyce and Luke.

Since Luke's diagnosis of gastric cancer, Paul and I have become a fixture in their home. We see them nearly every day and have been included in Katelyn's bedtime ritual. So now Paul and I are requested by Ms. Katelyn to put her to bed which includes her reading to you and for me a Minimum 20 question inquiry before I can get her down to sleep.

This week's inquiries consisted of the following from Ms. Katelyn; are veins in leaves like veins in your hand, why couldn't I just stay at her house all the time, why couldn't I just sleep in her house every night, who was older than me in the house, why couldn't she have a boyfriend now. Now on the last one I told her no boyfriends till 18 and I was promptly told that God said 15.  Now how could I argue with God. Score one for Katelyn..

A few weeks ago, it was Michael's birthday, Katelyn's older brother, he was having a party and friends over for a sleep over. Ms. K did not want to be in the house so she asked Paul and I if she could spend the night. I told her if she could earn 10 points in a week she could stay. My rules, no trouble at school, no fighting with Michael, no tantrums, and staying in her own bed all night.  I even let her start out with 4 points.  Ms. K made her 6 points without any problem, although Michael even begged his parents to pay me off to take her. Needless to say, if I ever thought of adopting,  keeping track of a 6 year old for 24 hours was enough to change my mind.

The best comment from Ms. K this week was one to her Dad. She told him that Mr. Paul was the oldest in Our family. When Luke tried to explain that her grand parents were older; she immediately said no Mr. Paul was the oldest in "Our family" and she formed her hands into a closing globe shape. She meant in her immediate world her family was Mom, Dad, Michael, Mr. Larry and our oldest Mr. Paul.

Looking at the world from a 6 year old view is refreshing, to see the world as an innocent child with the only decision is which adult in "Her Family" will put her to bed.  Oh and how many points she needs before Mr. Larry and Ms. Katelyn go shopping! If only we adults could take a moment each day to see the world from the view point of a 6 year old..it just might make it a better less stressful place.

Keep Dancin  Larry B

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written and oh how I love Katelyn's perspective on life! She seems like a very observant 6 year old and I hope someday, John and I can meet her - and hang with her "family!" Thanks for the refreshing view LB....

    ReplyDelete