Friday, April 26, 2013

Power of Three


I have decided that I do believe in the power of three and  here is how I have come to that decision.  My Best friend, Luke mentioned that an item on his Bucket List was to do Tandem Hang Gliding. I told him if he wanted to do it, I would do it with him. Hey, one item I could remove from my own list!  I thought why not make it happen prior to his next Chemotherapy session. This was also going to be prior to the first CT scan to see if the first three chemo treatments had done anything to his cancer.

So we researched and found Lookout Mountain Hang Gliding. They offered tandem hang gliding at two different levels 1800 feet or 3000 feet. I told Luke if we were going to hang from a big kite we were going all the way. So I booked us for the 3000 foot flight.

So on April 20, 2013, Luke and I made our way to Lookout Mountain. We signed our waivers and made our way to the flight field. For this flight, you are placed in a harness and basically hang from the center of the hang glider along side a qualified instructor. Your Glider is then attached to an ultralight plane and you are pulled up to 3000 feet. Once you are at the desired altitude your instructor pulls the rip cord and you are Hang Gliding back to earth.

I can tell you it was the most awesome experience I have ever had. It was peaceful and exhilarating at the same time. At 3000 feet on a beautiful clear day, you are able to see the foot hills of the Smokey Mountains which are about 100 miles from where we were gliding. You are able to see some of the most beautiful landscape in Tennessee and Georgia.

Following our great flying experience, Luke and I spent the day in Chattanooga where we ate at the Fork & Pie for lunch and the tab was $30.00.  We stayed at the  Chattanooga Choo-Choo Hotel that evening in a train car and the number was divisible by 3.
On Sunday, April 21st, we made our way back to Nashville where Luke had the CT scan. This scan was to evaluate how the first three chemotherapy sessions had performed on Luke's cancer.  On Monday April 22nd, Dr. Goff gave us the results of the scan. Dr. Goff gave us the beat news possible after three sessions all the cancer lesions on liver and stomach tumor was showing decrease in size.  A very good sign that the current treatment was doing its job. 

So your see the number three follow us around all weekend and Luke could not have gotten better news after only three Chemo treatments that all lesions and tumors showed a decrease in size.  The power of  three , Yes, I will latch onto any possibility to assist my friend in his fight. 

Keep Dancin’ Larry B.

No comments:

Post a Comment