Friday, June 27, 2014

Happy 238rd Birthday, USA

So as our country nears its 238rd Birthday on July 4, 2014, I was thinking back over the different 4th's that have been important to me. I came up with four that currently rank as what the 4th mean to me.
So as our country nears its 238

As a kid growing up in rural Southeast Missouri, the fourth was when the whole family would gather for a barbecue. It all started in the early afternoon with hamburgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob, fresh vegetables from the garden, watermelon, homemade pies and cobblers. Of course, the most important part of the day was at dusk. The kids would have to take turns turning the crank on granddad's ice cream maker.  You know, we are still trying to locate that ice cream recipe, great-grandma just kept some secrets.  When you completed your turn at the crank, you got your box of sparklers. The fathers would gather out in the field across from the gathering with all the fireworks and begin the show as we all sat around with our dishes of ice cream.  Now those were great 4th of July's.

Then there was 1976 and our country was celebrating its 200th Birthday as a nation. It was the summer before my junior year of high school and everywhere you turned there were 1776/1976 posters. Red, White and Blue Banners, clothing, dishes, everything was patriotic that year.  It was the biggest 4th of July I can ever recall in our small town of Matthews, Missouri. Farmers decorated their tractors, kids decorated their horses or other farm animals, it was a time that everyone knew what it meant to be an US citizen.

After graduating from college, I lived a few miles from Ft. Campbell, Kentucky, home of the Army's 101st Airborne division. I was able to attend a 4th of July celebration at Ft. Campbell. It was the most amazing display of fireworks synchronized with military and patriotic music that I have ever experienced.  Lying out on a blanket in a large open field with hundreds of other army families and friends.  I remember it was so amazing; it brought tears to your eyes with pride to be part of such a strong and proud country.

The last 4th of July that is very important to me was in 2007. That was the last 4th I had with my mother, I had not been in Missouri for a 4th of July in over 25 years.  Mom had told me how everyone still in made a big fuss on the 4th of July and I was totally surprised by the evening that unfolded before my eyes.  It was a bitter sweet 4th because we were in the midst of dealing with my mother's cancer and she was in bed prior to the fireworks that evening.  I can honestly say I am proud to be from the heartland of this country. The display of fireworks that individual farmers and homeowners put together in the small rural part of Missouri was overwhelming. I sat in my parent’s front yard and had a 360 degree display of the most amazing fireworks. I took as many pictures that I could to show mom the next morning.  The next day as I sat on her bed and showed her the pictures, I told her I was just amazed at how people in the area still pulled together for events like this. Her only comment was we may be simple country folk but we are damn proud of whom we are and the country we live in.

I am not sure how this 4th of July will be celebrated at this writing; I am still looking through old family recipes for that ice cream recipe.   Dad has decided to come over from Missouri, so we will be able to spend the holiday weekend with him and Sister. So here's to your 238rd Birthday United States of America. May you have another 238 more, with prosperity and pride.

Happy 4th of July to everyone...

 

Keep Dancin’ Larry B

No comments:

Post a Comment