Friday, March 23, 2012

Corporate America Got to Love It—Not

Now don’t get me wrong Corporate America has been very good to me over the past 21 years. I just have moments that I want to tell a few corporate honchos to find the nearest cliff and jump. Better yet, let me give them a slight nudge.
They tend to forget that the people working the local areas are still human beings. We are treated as autotrons that have no feelings or emotions. They only care about the bottom $ or the magic number for that particular month. That is when I want to simply rebel but then I have to remember after all these years, what would I do or where would I go.  Yes, they have me as well as a lot of other by the short hairs.
I am back in the Midwest where things move a little slower than when I lived in South Florida. People here are more laid back and easy going. Everyone waves as you pass and it is with more than one finger… Now I don’t know how the corporations behave up here but people in general just seem to have less stress.
I wish I could figure it out or tap into how they do it. I am sure there is a lot of stress but it just does not seem to be on the surface.  I work remotely at this time and I still feel the stress and pressure of what my local office goes through each month. Paul has even gotten to the point of finding ways to disappear the last two days of the month due to my stress level.
Yes, Corporate America has been good to me and good for the country for the most part. It just seems to me that they forget that what has made them great are those of us in the trenches doing the hands on work for the customers.  It comes down to just how big is too big, how much money is too much and would it really hurt their stock holders to not get a dividend one year.  Sure they offer great benefits and good salaries to the staff.  Yet what I see is staff has to work harder each month to accommodate the goal set by Corporate.  They have to work twice as hard to take well deserved time off but still make the same quota or be considered not a team player.
I am planning a few days to take care of my father after surgery but I am stressing over leaving my fellow co-workers to deal with my portion of the load.  I know that the time has come and gone, never to reappear in my life time; when we were able to stay with a company 30 years and feel that we were part of something great.  Oh well, see you Monday for another fun filled week, and oh joy its end of month AGAIN.
See you in April, Paul… 
 Till next time LB

No comments:

Post a Comment