Friday, August 17, 2012

Dance and Theatrical, Oh My!

The Ellen Valinski Story continues…I opened my first store in Shrewsbury MA. Next to the famous Spags. It was a fantastic location.  I did this right after closing all my Dance Studios and the store was called “Honey’s Theatrical and Dance Wear Shoppe. I specialized in ready-made costumes/theatrical make-up/custom made costumes/all types of dance footwear and theatrical accessories.  I also had a rental department for all masquerade costumes.

The first thing I had to do was reach out to the many dance teachers that I had been previous competitor. I called all of them and asked if I could give each and every one of them my personal attention by going to their studios to measure each student for their needs (leotards, shoes, costumes). Most took advantage of the service and this was a great start for my new shoppe. I then contacted all the Theatrical groups, high schools and local skating clubs and offered similar services and advertised recital planning and designing.

One of my former students Gary Cipro became my designer and window trimmer, he was great at everything.  Word soon got around to many entertainers such as singers, comedians, exotic dancers and female impersonators, we soon had more work than Gary handle. We would set up appointments in the evening for all these adult performers, strippers and all. I realized then that I had to go to New York to purchase lots of feathers. I went to the Avenue of Americas from which I found had the most wholesale trim and feathers. I went alone at first to introduce myself to these companies. Some would not even see me because I was a small new store. I finally met a wonderful old man at a large company who must have thought I was crazy thinking $250 was enough to purchase from him or anyone wholesale feathers.

He sat with me first and explained how to buy feathers; by the pound he said not the piece. He got a huge plastic bag and filled it with the most beautiful feathers, boas, ostrich, marabou, peacock and many more. He then showed me how to make my own feather boas, by twisting small one into expensive larger feathers. That was a real lesson in how to make more money with the product.

He also showed me the beautiful headpieces, which he designed for the Rockettes and Fans for Sally Rand. We kept our business going with each other till he passed away a year later. What knowledge he had in his profession and I was always grateful for his kindness and support.
I also went to wig companies, at the time these were mostly owned by Koreans. Once again a new adventure for me, for they were mostly in old buildings with gated elevators. It was very scary to have to go up and ring a bell for access with my few hundred dollars tucked in my underwear. I got some great deals on clown and character wigs.  This was just the beginning of a wonder new part of my life.

More to come… searching my memories… Ms. Honey….

No comments:

Post a Comment