Thursday, August 30, 2012

Labor Day 2012


Depending on whether you count from the first Labor Day or from when it became a Federal Holiday. ThisLabor Day is the 130th or 118th. It was originally intended that the day would be filled with a street parade to allow the public to appreciate the work of the trade and labor organizations. After the parade, a festival would be held to amuse local workers and their families.
In later years, prominent men and women held speeches. One of the reasons for choosing to celebrate this on the first Monday in September was to add a holiday in the long gap between Independence Day and Thanksgiving.
It is largely a day of rest in modern times. Many people mark Labor Day as the end of the summer season and a last chance to make trips or hold outdoor events. This year I will be celebrating Labor Day by moving into our new home and helping my sister prepare to move into our condo. 
Seems like it was just a year ago that I was packing up our house in Florida and getting ready to move to Tennessee. Oh wait, it was a year ago.  It has been a great year and we have definitely established Clarksville as our home. So yes in one year we have sold a house in Florida, moved to our condo on the bluff and had a new house built.   
The funny thing is I wrote 2 years ago here in my blog about how the Condo on the Bluff was my place to get away to a slower pace of life.  I talked about how tired I was of the metropolitan area of South Florida and how when I was here I slowed down, became more productive and creative.
It is a slower pace of life here but this year has not been that slow paced for us. Perhaps once this move is complete we will be able to slow down and enjoy our new home and the surrounding area.
It feels like we are starting over just as it did a year ago.  This time I know it is the last time I am going to pack up totes.  Luckily instead of 18 hours of driving, it is only 5 minutes from door to door.
Till next time LB

No comments:

Post a Comment