Saturday, May 18, 2013

Remembering Cousin Charles Ray

Today is Armed Forces Day so I am reposting an article from last year in honor of my dear friend John Persico. John served this country in Vietnam and just recently lost his battle with Cancer. John was a true fighter for this country and showed that determination through his greatest battle. Thank you John and we miss you..

Charles Ray was a cousin on my Mother’s side of the family who was in the armed services during the Vietnam Era.

Charles Ray was a good Arkansas boy that served our country. I never got to meet my cousin for he was killed while saving others during a conflict at an air base. My family always talked with high praise of how Charles Ray served our country and died doing his job of saving others.

My Mom always spoke of him with words like special, dedicated, courageous and good hearted. I only saw pictures of Charles Ray in uniform growing up and as a young man in Southeast Missouri farm country; I wanted to be like my cousin.

I learned that Charles Ray’s name was on the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, DC and the first chance I got to go there I made sure to find his name and photographed it for my mom. As I stated, I had wanted to be like my cousin but as I got ready to enlist, I realized I was not service material. I did not like anyone telling me what to do and when to do it. So instead, I went to college and majored in two areas that I would be able help others, Speech Disorders and Nursing, my own way of honoring my cousin, Charles Ray.

Charles Ray was just one of several of our family’s members that served our country over the years prior and past. We are very proud of each and every one of them for the service they provided to our country. I know this year as in years past, family members will be placing special arrangements at the grave of Charles Ray and several others in the next few weeks in remembrance of their service to us and our country.

While thinking of Charles Ray, I also started thinking of the many men and women currently serving our country in the many branches of the armed services. Many are far away from their loved ones and even though it is hard to say many may never see their loved ones again. That is the reality they all face when they join to serve our country.

Armed Services Day is the 3rd Saturday of May, This is simply a day to salute sharply all of the men and women in all branches of the service who protect our country and you. They can be called upon at a moment's notice to perform a risky and perilous mission for freedom and country. They train diligently both physically and mentally so they will be prepared to prevail in any mission they face.

Even if you don’t have a loved one currently serving in the Armed Forces, contact your local veteran’s organization and see what you can do to show your appreciation this Armed Forces Day and Memorial Day. Many have programs that you can join to assist with those currently serving or a veteran who is in need of some companionship.

It really does not matter what you do as long as you do something to show those that serve in the Armed Forces, you appreciate their dedication and service to protect you and this country. Thank you to all the men and women of our Armed Services and God Bless the United States.

Keep Dancin’ Larry B

No comments:

Post a Comment