Friday, October 18, 2013

When You Least Expect it!


As many know I have struggled to establish a Line Dance Class since moving to Tennessee. I was able to do a gig at the Clarksville Athletic Club for a fund raiser for Breast Cancer that ran for four months in 2012.

Then I was blessed to meet Luke Henry, who put in a good word for me with City of Clarksville Parks & Recreation Department. I was contracted for a 6 month gig for them at the Crowe Community Center.

I had decided after Luke passed to get back to dancing. I found the Clarksville Dance Club and started taking classes for myself in September 2013. I put starting my own class on the back burner. I just was not in the right frame of mind to market myself or the leg work to locate an establishment to host classes. I just wanted to dance and take classes for myself.

On October 3, 2013, which was the second month anniversary of Luke's passing, Patricia, my Thursday night Dance Instructor, asked me for my Line Dance Business card. She said she wanted to pass it on to the owners of Murph's Country Music Barn. I had just heard about Murph's through the dance club as a great place to dance.

On October 4, Patricia called and told me that she had passed my information to Murph and his wife. She stated I should expect a call about starting a Line Dance Class. The next day, we gathered and paid honor to our friend Luke at Morton's Outlook in the Smokey Mountains and I updated my friend on things while sitting on his favorite outcropping.

The following Monday, I got a call from Murph and when I returned the call I spoke to his lovely wife, B. We had a great chat and they wanted to meet me to discuss how we could benefit each other. They were looking to bring more people in on their Saturday night dance and would like to offer their facility for a beginner class if we got a good response on Saturday nights.

I met Murph and B on Saturday, October 12 and they are the nicest people you would ever meet. The facility is huge but is warm and welcoming as you enter. This venture is their retirement activity. They hold weddings, special dinners, weekly auctions, and weekly dances. Murph's is a great family place to sit back listen to some good music and dance your night away on Saturday night.

We have agreed that I will start teaching a class at the Saturday night Dance on November 2, 2013. I have gathered information on the songs done at Murph's and working on putting a Dance Lesson together.  Working with Murph and B to bring more clientele to Murph's Country Music Barn is going to be an exciting new adventure and a new avenue for establishing a class.

I could not have asked for a more accommodating couple to work with as Murph and B. I know my new guardian angel is watching over me and ensuring I get back to teaching.

Keep dancin' Larry B.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment