Friday, December 30, 2011

Family, Friends and a Year of Changes

As the year draws to a close, it is time to reflect on the past year and how very important our family and friends have been in our lives.  I am sure most of us are still in a stupor from our Christmas feast.  It was during our feast that I got to thinking about how 2011 had been a year of many changes for Paul and I.

I started the year in a new/old position after 20 years with Intracorp, the company was sold to GENEX Services at the end fo 2010. So although I am still doing the same job, it was all new with a new employer. The year has been a challenge learning how to do the same job under new policies and proceedures. I do have to state that my new immediate boss has been nothing but accepting and supportive in this year of transition.

I also started a new website www.LineDanceNews.com and also became the host site for Stella Cabeca's website.  Just taking my passion for dancing to a new level.

Paul met a milestone this year and after 30 years retired from the US Postal Service. He has been making a nice adjustment to the life as a retired person.

Then the most dramatic change came the last quarter of the year when we decided it was now time to make the move to Tennessee to be closer to both our families especially my Father. It then all happen very quickly with us selling the house in Florida.  So after 40 years for Paul and 20 years for myself in Florida, we relocted to Clarksville, Tennessee.

So this Holiday season, we got to spend with our families and not our our Florida friends. For me it was a very special holiday getting to spend it with my Father and sister afte 20 years. I know my Mom was smiling down at us, happy that her family was back together again.

I have to admit it was strange at first since for the past years, it was our Florida family that had made our holiday season so enjoyable and memorable.

We  tend to take many things in our life for granted and sometimes neglect to express or show our true feelings for those immediately around us in our daily lives. Being from a farming family, family gatherings with lots of good food, good fun and camaraderie were what was important throughout the year. It was during these family gatherings that you caught on family and nurtured the bond that makes us all family in one way or another.

Paul  and I come from very different family backgrounds but the one common thread was that family was the most important aspect of our daily lives growing up. The weekly or Monthly family gatherings that included everyone from Grandparents to cousins. The feeling of having that common denominator that made you whole and who you are today. 
The old saying you can pick your friends but not your family  is so true. Yet we have friends in our lives that we consider family and have the bond that comes with family.  Knowing they will be there for you in your time of need and support you in whatever venture you undertake. 
So as 2011 draws to an end, We know that our choices were the right ones for Paul and I. Our Florida Friends will always be a part of our lives but now is the time for us to spend with our Family. 2012 is going to be a good year, now we get to show our Florida Family the area I grew up in and around.

No comments:

Post a Comment