Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012


What a difference a year makes, one year ago today, I was sitting in our Little House on the Bluff typing a similar blog entry.  Today I am sitting in our new home which I have dubbed Orchard Hills Big House. We have been in the house for 90 days and it seems like a lot longer time has passed. Luckily, I was able to take much needed time off from work so we could get everything settled before the cold weather hit.
 
This year we decided to break tradition of cooking and spending most of the day in the kitchen instead we took Dad and Sister to Lake Barkley for a Thanksgiving feast. It was  a beautiful day in Middle Tennessee with 70 degree temperatures and beautiful sunshine.  The only thing missing is our loved ones that have passed and our Florida Family.  
Growing up it in Southeast Missouri, Thanksgiving was always a family event, I am fortunate enough to remember everyone meeting at our Great Grandparents house for the day. The Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, and cousins all gathering for a day of home cooking, games and just being together as a family.
Those were special times; the extended family unit was together as one clan. As our society moved forward, it seems to have lost this one important aspect of the family.  The family unit is more nuclear in nature today than in the past.  We move further from the family to pursue careers and then everyone becomes so involved with their own lives that taking the time to be with extended family does not seem as important.
This happen to our family clan, as the great and grandparents passed on, my generation was the one that moved further away from the homestead. We were the ones that pursued those careers and just never seem to have any time to make it home for the holidays. I, for one, realized this but only after the passing of my Mother.
Thanksgiving was always a special holiday for her. She called it her mid holiday.  Halloween was the first because of my birth, then Thanksgiving and ending with Christmas. She always wanted the family together for the holiday and for so many years it was just never possible for all of us to be in on location for this weekend. 
 We made the decision a year ago to move so we could be closer to family and it has been the best decision. This past year has proven that point, being able to spend more time with Dad and my sister is priceless and it means so much to me. Every day and every month that passes I know I am only a few hours from Dad and only a few minutes from my Sister, it just feels right.
 Dad is splitting his nights between our house and sister's this year. It is the family joke now that we have to share custody on the holidays. It is just wonderful to have that opportunity each holiday. Tonight, he is back at her house and it is our turn for the last night of his visit this trip.
My Mother would be so proud to see her family finally together for the holidays.  I can hear her now, saying “I would love another cup of coffee but I have babies (dogs) on my lap” and of course, I or Paul would be the ones getting that cup of coffee.    I am thankful to be backing home with the family.   Now it is time for a cup of coffee in honor of Mom...  Happy Post Thanksgiving 2012.
Keep Dancin'
 LB

 

1 comment:

  1. As a child, Thanksgiving meant playing with the cousins and then trying to sit still at the dinner table as relatives we hadn't seen in a year, sit next to us getting ready for the dinner blessing. All I wanted to do was play! As a young adult, Thanksgiving meant a one-plate meal for me because I needed to hurry up and dash out the door to get to meet up with friend's. As an older adult, Thanksgiving has brought back many memories. Including fairly new ones. I find myself thinking about the friends that are no longer a doorstep away and about the friends and family that have "crossed over the rainbow bridge." It's been a heck of a year since last Thanksgiving. But thankfully, we wake up each morning and have that hot water to shower in. And electric to brew the coffee. I don't take things for granted but I too get caught up in my routine of life. But we are human. And being human also gives us all the ability to have compassion.... to help others and to remember where we came from. Happy Post TDay to y'all too!

    ReplyDelete